Your website should be so simple, a drunk person could use it.
You can't test that. I'll do it for you.
I'll get very drunk, and then review your website. I'll send you my screencast; you'll get a video of me, as a new user, and as a designer trying to keep it together.
One of the core tenets of UX is that you've got to design like "the user is drunk." Any feature of your site has to be able to be used by someone who could be drunk - because, invariably, the user will mess it up otherwise. Wonderful idea. The thing is, it is hard to test.
I and a lot of beer will test this for you.
- drinkpoint.net, drinkpoint app
- meh.com, take 2
- oh crap! app
- BREWPUBLIK: BrewPublik is a curated craft beer subscription service, coming to a city near you.
- Screenmailer: Record your screen and voice. Share video instantly.
- Shopify: 10 Things I Learned About UX By Being Drunk.
- Gizmodo: I Paid a UX Expert $100 to Get Drunk and Evaluate Gizmodo's Design.
- Tech.co: Here’s Why It’s Important to Design Like the User is Drunk.
- Fastcodesign: Reviewing UX Designs While Drunk Makes Way More Sense Than You Think.
- Hubspot: This Guy Got Drunk and Critiqued Our Website. Here's What He Had to Say.
- Austin Knight (Hubspot): UX insights from a drunk guy.
- PULS: Betrunkener Homepagetester.
- VWO: Beer, Tequila and the World’s Easiest A/B Testing Tool: Drunk Review of VWO.
- EConsultancy:The Virtues of User Testing Under the Influence.
- TFMAInsights: What Users Do Drunk: Taking a Squiffy Look at Your Website
- Entwickler.de: Bechern für bessere UX – Testen mit Promille
- CrossBrowserTesting: The Unexpected Value of a Professional Developer Drunk Testing Your Web Design
• Will you actually do this? Yes.
• Can I pay you more to choose what you drink? Very yes.
• Will you post your screencasts publicly? Yes.
• Is this your only job? No. I have a full time job changing the world. This website is very much on the side, with no major ambitions.
• Did you set up the user is my mom too? Yes! Check it out.
• Wasn't this cheaper earlier? Yes. Raising my prices is my way of throttling the amount of jobs.
• Serious: what about alcoholism? Addictive drinking is a real issue. I intend to drink responsibly. I have close friends checking in with me regularly to make sure this doesn't become a problem. I'll do this once or twice a week, and limit the number of clients.
I also review websites from a UX perspective while sober. If you're interested in that, please get in touch.
Think of me like a user, but with a large knowledgebase on best practices, and no legal liability for your company. Actually, speaking of liability: I will ensure that I drink responsibly. I take all blame if I accidentally do. I will ensure that I do not endanger anyone else in the process. You waive all responsibility for me upon payment. If you are concerned about me, please contact me. If you or your loved ones struggles with alcohol, talk to your doctor. Various types of therapy with real trained and certified therapists have good success rates backed by actual scientific evidence, as do certain prescription drugs. Combining them likely has an even better success rate. Drink responsibly.